Animal Control Division Chief

Joey Kastner

White County Animal Control

Contact Us:

680 Industrial Blvd.
Cleveland, GA. 30528

706-219-2689 - Phone
706-348-1852 - Fax

Shelter Hours:

Monday - Friday 8 am to 5 pm Saturday 10 am to 2 pm

Shelter Animals Count | The National Database

June is National Adopt a Cat Month

In honor we are reducing all cat adoption fees to $25 for the month of June!

Animal Shelter

The White County Animal Shelter was opened in 2011. The shelter is operated by animal control services. We are an open admission shelter and house dogs, cats, and occasionally other types of animals.

Our adoption fee is $90

This includes spaying/neutering, vaccinations, micro-chip and de-worming for the dogs and cats. We have many sweet dogs & cats looking for forever homes. Stop by and visit, you may find the love of your life!

If you have lost a pet please come by and check to see if they are here waiting for you.

Contact the shelter for information on low cost spay and neuter programs.

We are pleased to partner with Project Catsnip to offer low cost spay/neuters for cats. They will be at our shelter on July 26, 2019. You must have an appointment. For more information and to register go to


Recently, multiple wild animals have tested positive for rabies within White County. As a precaution, White County Animal Control and White County Environmental Health are strongly urging residents to protect themselves and their pets from encounters with wild animals such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes because they are common carriers for rabies.

What you should do.

  • Make sure your pets are current on their rabies vaccinations. If not, get your pet vaccinated as soon as possible.
  • Stay away from wild animals and keep your pet away from wild animals.
  • If you feed your pet outdoors, take up food as soon as your pet is finished eating. Leaving leftover food outside can attract wild animals.
  • If you observe any domestic animal acting abnormally – being unusually aggressive, looking ill, not behaving normally – CONTACT ANIMAL CONTROL and/or WHITE COUNTY ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH. Do not approach the animal or allow your pet to get near the animal.
  • If you observe a wild animal not behaving normally – CONTACT GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES (DNR).Do not approach the animal or allow your pet to get near the animal.
  • If your pet is attacked by a wild animal, CONTACT ANIMAL CONTROL and DNR immediately.

**Under NO circumstances should the public attempt to trap, catch, or handle wildlife.Public health will only test an animal when a human has been bitten and/or scratched by a wild animal.Testing for domesticated animals that have been bitten and/or scratched by a wild animal will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.**


Rabies is a virus that is carried in the saliva of infected animals and is usually transmitted through bites. Rabies is a serious illness for animals and humans and is deadly if not prevented.

To report a suspected wild rabid animal call:

Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR): 770-535-5700

After hours: 800-241-4113

To report a suspected domestic rabid animal call:

White County Animal Control: 706-219-2689

To report human contact with a suspected rabid animal call:

White County Environmental Health: 706-348-7698

Animal Control FAQ's

Does White County have a leash law?
White County has a Running at Large Prohibited; duties of animal owners – Article ll, Sec. 10-31.

My pets are indoor animals, do I still need to have them vaccinated for rabies?
Yes, Sec. 10-103 State law requires all dogs and cats be vaccinated for rabies by the age of 3 MONTHS. Although the majority of rabies cases occur in wildlife, your pets can be infected when they are bitten by rabid animals. We recommend visiting your veterinarian on a regular basis to keep your pet healthy and protected from disease and parasites.

Can I buy the rabies vaccine and administer it myself?
No. Sec. 10-103 State law requires the rabies vaccine be administered by a licensed veterinarian.

My neighbor's dog is fed but very thin, he has an old truck to crawl under for shelter, can anything be done to help this poor dog?
Yes. It is always best to phone Animal Control and report any concerns you have about the welfare of an animal. We can evaluate the situation and determine the best course of action to be taken.

Is there a way to keep the male dogs from my female dog when she is in heat?
Yes. Spay your dog. If you are unable to afford the cost of the surgery contact us we can give you phone #'s of organizations that offer low cost spay and neuter surgery, and we also host clinics throughout the year. There are many reasons to have your animal altered, we will be happy to give you information on the benefits of spaying and neutering. White County does have an ordinance Sec. 10-46 that does require any unsterilized dog, cat or ferret to be confined at all times.

Is it ok to leave my dog in the car for a few minutes while I run into the store?
No. Sec. 10-43 With all four windows cracked one inch, the temperature inside a car will be:
125 degrees within 20 minutes in 93 degree weather, 140 degrees within 20 minutes.
102 degrees within 10 minutes in 85 degree weather, 100 degrees within 10minutes.
100 degrees within 10 minutes in 72 degree weather, 116 degrees within one hour.
A dogs body temperature is 101-102 degrees, if it rises to 106 degrees dogs can suffer brain damage and death.

If I get a mean dog to protect my house and put the dog on a heavy logging chain, if the dog gets loose and hurts someone can I be held liable?
Yes. Any pet you have that damages property or injures another animal or a human could result in criminal and / or civil action against the owner. A dog on a chain will not be able to stop someone from entering your house a criminal would know how to get around the dog. The cost to care for the dog and the potential liability far exceed the cost of a monitored alarm system. Sec. 10-37

If I take unwanted animals to a shelter they could be put to sleep, is it better to turn them loose somewhere so they will have a chance?
No. The chance they will be hit by a car, die from disease or starvation, terrified by people trying to chase them off, attacked by other animals or humans, or die a bad death is greater than the chance they will be put to sleep humanely at a shelter. It is also against the law. Section 10-33

Who do I contact about bear, coyote, or snake problem?
Department of Natural Resources